Michael E. Miller saved Sheila B. Pruner from burning, Ecorse, Michigan, April 3, 1997. Sheila, 2, was in her family’s second-floor apartment with five other children and their babysitter when fire broke out in a bedroom of that unit. Driving in the vicinity, Miller, 43, steelworker, saw flames issuing from the bedroom window, then saw the babysitter at the apartment’s adjacent living room window, which was in a dormer. Miller climbed to that portion of the roof at the base of the dormer and aided in the removal of three of the children. He then climbed through the window into the living room, where dense smoke precluded visibility. After two attempts, Miller found Sheila, who was semiconscious, on the floor. Guided by the voice of a man at the window, Miller returned to the window and handed Sheila out to the man, then exited himself. Firefighters arriving by then removed the remaining two children from the house. All of the children required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation. Miller also was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation, from which he recovered.
71700 – 817471700-8174