Michael Clay Mitchell saved Rickey C. and Isaac C. Allen from burning, Chicago, Illinois, April 19, 1988. Rickey, 2, and Isaac, 4 months old, were inside their family’s apartment when fire broke out in a closet. Mitchell, 34, was alerted to the fire and went to the apartment. Despite intense heat and dense smoke inside, Mitchell entered and found Rickey, but as he prepared to exit, the door closed and was momentarily jammed. Mitchell took Rickey out of the apartment, then returned inside; crawling farther, he found Isaac near the burning closet and returned outside with him. Rickey and Isaac were hospitalized for smoke Inhalation, and they recovered. Mitchell also required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, and he too recovered.
63039 – 730963039-7309