Mayme Lee Barnes saved Antwan L., Olde F., and Emma Pope from burning, Goldsboro, North Carolina, June 11, 1969. When fire broke out in a one-story frame dwelling and spread rapidly, Mrs. Pope, 98, was trapped in a bedroom with Antwan, 2, and Olde, 3. Mrs. Barnes, 34, janitress, ran to the front door of the dwelling, but when she opened it her path was blocked by flames. She then ran to the rear door and forced it open. Looking for occupants, Mrs. Barnes moved through the kitchen and one bedroom, both already afire. She continued into another bedroom and found Mrs. Pope and the two boys. Flames burned on three walls of the room, and heat was intense. Mrs. Barnes carried Antwan and Olde from the dwelling and then returned to get Mrs. Pope. Because smoke had increased, she crawled to Mrs. Pope, who was within five feet of the flames. Opening a window, Mrs. Barnes handed Mrs. Pope to persons outside. Feeling she could not get through the opening, Mrs. Barnes then retraced her path to the back porch, where she collapsed. She was hospitalized for treatment of burns she had sustained. She recovered. Antwan, Olde, and Mrs. Pope were unharmed.
50870 – 568150870-5681