Matthew P. Schons rescued Jadyn B. Haugen from burning, Tracy, Minnesota, September 15, 2012. Jadyn, 2 months, was in a crib in the living room of her family’s one-story house after a large explosion in the house set spot fires throughout the structure and rendered it unstable. A neighbor, Schons, 25, cook, heard the explosion and saw flames and smoke issuing from the scene. He ran to the house and, learning that Jadyn was still inside, entered the living room through the front door. Heat was intense there and smoke, dense, severely restricting visibility and hampering breathing. Despite flames burning throughout the room, Schons moved along its perimeter to search for Jadyn, not knowing her location. Passing within inches of the flames in deteriorating conditions, he found the crib in the far corner of the room. Schons picked Jadyn up and, cradling her in one arm while shielding her face with the other, fled outside to safety. Flames grew quickly to engulf the house. Jadyn required hospitalization for significant burns, and she recovered.
85228 – 966985228-9669