Mary B. Sipos rescued David J. Dissette from burning, Brunswick, Ohio, September 28, 1964. In a one-story frame dwelling fire broke out in the bedroom where David, 2, was in his crib beneath a window. Finding that flames blocked the door to David’s room, his parents ran outside, where the father raised the sash of the bedroom window while the mother called for help. Several neighbors, including Mrs. Sipos, 38, housewife, who was pregnant, ran to the dwelling. With another woman Mrs. Sipos attempted to boost the father to the window, but flames issuing through the opening prevented him from entering. Mrs. Sipos ran to the front door and entered the living room. Heat and smoke increased as she ran to a hall, where flames completely covered the ceiling. Crouching, Mrs. Sipos ran across the hall and through the bedroom doorway, where flames extended downward to within four feet of the floor. Heat and smoke were intense from flames which covered most of the ceiling, all of one wall, and half of the wall against which David’s crib was placed. Crouching very low, Mrs. Sipos ran beneath the ceiling flames and reached the crib, which was afire. Her hands were within inches of flames on the bedclothes as she lifted David from the crib. Clasping him to her in an effort to extinguish the flames on his clothing, Mrs. Sipos briefly squatted beneath the dense smoke and took a deep breath. She then ran directly through the flames at the bedroom door and beneath the ceiling flames in the hall to the living room, where she carried David out the front door. Firemen extinguished the flames. David and Mrs. Sipos were burned severely and were confined to a hospital for more than a month.
47500 – 484847500-4848