Marvin L. Weyer rescued Teresa J. Sherman from burning, Ferdinand, Indiana, January 1, 1997. Ms. Sherman, 35, lay unconscious on the floor of the kitchen in her family’s house after fire broke out in the adjoining living room. Visiting in the neighborhood, Weyer, 45, store owner, responded to the scene after seeing flames there. He opened a side door and shouted inside. Hearing a faint cry, Weyer entered the burning house. Twice he attempted to penetrate a hall leading to the kitchen, but he was forced out by smoke each time. Weyer then put his jacket to his face and entered a third time. He made it to the kitchen doorway, where he bumped into Ms. Sherman. Weyer picked her up, then turned and carried her from the house. Ms. Sherman was hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns. Weyer inhaled smoke but soon recovered.
71374 – 815371374-8153