Marlin A. Moe rescued Bernadean K. and Teresa A. Olson from burning, West Fargo, North Dakota, October 31, 1967. Bernadean, 5, and Teresa, 4, were somewhere in their home, a one-story frame dwelling, when fire broke out in the living room. Moe, 29, letter carrier, arrived and saw that the living room was filled with smoke and flames and that fire had burned through the roof in places. He learned that two children were inside, possibly in their bedroom. Moe opened a window of the bedroom and, despite heat and smoke issuing through the opening, entered the dwelling. In the dense smoke which filled the room, Moe began crawling about in search of the children, at times returning to the window for air. He reached the bedroom door and closed it to keep out the flames. Moe located Bernadean, who was partly under a bed. He took her to the window and climbed out, choking from the smoke. After inhaling fresh air, Moe climbed back into the dwelling. He groped about the room until he found Teresa. Moe took her to the window and climbed out. Bernadean and Teresa were hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation. They recovered fully.
49938 – 545149938-5451