Lloyd Adams rescued James A. Drew from burning, Elmira, New York, August 29, 1986. Drew, 38, was in his second-floor bedroom when fire broke out in that room. A neighbor, Adams, 74, retired, saw smoke coming from the house; he entered and ran upstairs to the second floor. He opened Drew’s door and was met by heavy smoke, which forced him back. Despite having no visibility in the smoke, Adams crawled into the room and felt Drew lying on the floor. Adams stood and, grasping Drew by the arm, dragged him from the room and started to pat out the flames on his trousers. Adams then carried Drew downstairs and outside to safety. Drew was hospitalized for extensive and severe burns and died two weeks later. Adams recovered from minor burns on his hands.
61440 – 713261440-7132