Liviu Talos saved Tahani Shohatee from burning, Detroit, Michigan, July 15, 2010. Tahani, 9, was in her bedroom, on the first floor of her family’s house, after fire broke out in the living room at night and filled the floor with dense smoke. Talos, 45, construction worker, was alerted to the fire and responded to the scene from his house across the street. Learning the location of Tahani’s bedroom, Talos mounted a garbage can beneath the bedroom window and broke it out. He attempted entry twice but was forced back by intense heat and dense smoke each time. After returning to his home for a breathing mask that he used in his work, Talos again climbed to the window. He entered the bedroom and, with the aid of the mask, crawled across the room in search of Tahani. Not finding her, he returned toward the window, en route feeling Tahani’s leg: She lay on the floor about six feet from the window. Talos picked her up, took her to the window, and handed her outside to others. Talos then dived through the window to the ground, injuring his shoulder. Tahani was taken to the hospital, where she died the next day. Talos inhaled smoke and required surgical repair of his shoulder.
83346 – 945283346-9452