Lionel E. Hicks helped to rescue Sally P. Gee from a collapsing building, Picton, Ontario, January 11, 1986. Mrs. Gee, 65, and other patrons were trapped by debris after an explosion of propane gas in the basement of the restaurant in which they were dining. Gas continued to leak in the two-story, stone building, the remaining portion of which was threatening to collapse. Having heard the explosion from his home nearby, Hicks, 32, lumberyard manager, immediately ran to the building, where he learned that several persons were inside. In the moments before the fire department arrived, Hicks entered the building, in which debris continued to fall, and found Mrs. Gee. He and another man removed her from the debris and carried her to a point where they were aided by arriving rescue personnel. Mrs. Gee was hospitalized for her injuries, and she recovered.
63292 – 727663292-7276