Linda Jane Nulsen rescued C. Christopher Barker from electric shock, Sedgefield, North Carolina, June 24, 1962. During a heavy rainstorm Christopher, 10, attempted to open a stable door and came in contact with an uninsulated ground cable from the structure’s lightning rods which had come loose and was energized by contact with worn power lines carrying 110 volts of electricity. Christopher sustained an electrical shock, which rendered him unconscious, and he fell supine to the wet ground with his arms rigidly raised. Linda, 16, schoolgirl, also soaked by the rain, ran to Christopher and noted the charged cable, which was in contact with his wrist. She touched Christopher’s trouser leg lightly with a finger and experienced a slight shock. Linda then obtained a length of plastic hose, which was lying on the wet ground nearby. Her hand shook as she forced a loop of the wet hose beneath Christopher’s heel and around his ankle. She drew the hose tight and jerked on it, but it slipped from Christopher’s foot. On her second attempt Linda succeeded in moving Christopher two feet, breaking his contact with the cable. Linda administered mouth-to-mouth respiration until Christopher began to breathe. She then telephoned the fire department. Christopher was removed to a hospital, where he revived and was treated for electrical shook. He recovered.
46097 – 462846097-4628