L. A. Stevens rescued Millard F. Massey from burning, Burlington, North Carolina, September 29, 1998. Massey, 74, was in a first-floor bedroom of his two-story home after fire erupted in that room. He attempted to extinguish the flames. A neighbor, Stevens, 48, plumber, saw fire at Massey’s house and went to the scene, where, through a window in the bedroom, he saw Massey fighting the flames. Stevens entered the house, which was filled with smoke, and ran to the burning bedroom. He approached Massey, catching him as he collapsed, and backed out of the house, dragging him. Flames spread to other rooms, and the house was destroyed. Massey was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and a burn on his arm, from which he recovered.
73314 – 837773314-8377