Joseph McAllister, Sr., attempted to rescue Jacob Legong from electric shock, Ringo, Kansas, July 4, 1931. In partial darkness after a heavy rain, Legong, 62, miner, walked against an aerial wire that lay in loops on the wet ground, one end of the wire being in contact with a service wire 15 feet above the ground. The wires were charged with a current of 110 volts of electricity. Legong was shocked and lay unconscious, the aerial wire being under him and around one arm. McAllister, 39, miner, ran to Legong, and although he did not see the wire, he thought Legong was in contact with an electric current. He cautiously touched Legong’s clothing, feeling a slight tingle. Stooping, he slipped his hands under Legong’s shoulders, and his right hand and arm got in contact with the wire. He was shocked and lay unconscious in a shallow pool of water five feet from Legong. A little later by means of dry rags and two pieces of wood, McAllister’s father removed the wire from McAllister and then from Legong. Both were revived. McAllister sustained burns on his right thumb and wrist and was disabled for three months by nervous shock.
32066 – 270932066-2709