Joseph C. Moore, 21,newspaper deliveryman, saved Jean M. and Roger M. Hunter, Jr., 39 and 9, respectively, and Roger M. Hunter, 42, salesman from suffocation, Macon, Georgia, January 28, 1962. Discovering in early morning that fire had broken out in the kitchen of their brick dwelling, Mrs. Hunter called loudly but could not waken her husband and son, who were asleep in separate first-floor bedrooms. Closing the doors of the bedrooms, Mrs. Hunter ran to the telephone in the den, to which flames then had spread. Before she could summon firemen, Mrs. Hunter was overcome by smoke and collapsed. Moore and a youth were delivering newspapers in the area and noticed the flames, which had broken through the kitchen wall and rose 15 feet above the ground. After telling the youth to call firemen, Moore ran down the side of a ravine to the rear of the dwelling, where he forced open a door to the den. Hearing Mrs. Hunter groan, Moore crouched beneath the dense smoke and moved to her. Moore dragged Mrs. Hunter six feet to the door and thence outside. He then ran back to the door., but heat was so intense from the rapidly spreading flames that he could not re-enter. Mrs. Hunter revived and pointed to her son’s bedroom beyond the den. Moore with a brick made a large hole in the wire screen of a window of the bedroom, broke out the small panes and their frames, and climbed through the opening. Smoke already had penetrated the room, and heat was noticeable. Finding Roger still asleep in bed, Moore carried him to the window, climbed out, and handed him to his mother. She told Moore where Hunter was sleeping. Moore ran to the front of the dwelling, kicked a large hole in the screen of Hunter’s bedroom, and then raised the sash. He climbed into the room, roused Hunter, and told him his wife and son were safe. Moore and Hunter then climbed through the window. Firemen arrived and extinguished the flames.
45903 – 457145903-4571