Joseph Bayes Long, Jr., rescued C. David Carney, Jr., from electric shock, Sissonville, West Virginia, July 10, 1971. With his clothing wet from rain, David, 15, high-school student, was running on wet grass when he slipped and grasped an uninsulated wire carrying 110 volts of electricity. Both hands clutched the wire, and he sagged forward with the lower part of his body on the grass. Long, 19, college student, made three vain attempts, each time experiencing shock, to free David. A young man arrived, grasped the wire near David, and then slumped over it; after which one of David’s hands dropped from the wire. Long then pulled him free. The flow of electricity was cut off; and the young man fell free of the wire. David responded to artificial respiration; but the young man could not be revived.
52230 – 585552230-5855