Jon M. Shelby saved Daniel McConville from burning, Dunsmuir, California, July 13, 2002. McConville, 63, was inside his mobile home after fire erupted in the kitchen. Driving nearby, Shelby, 46, contractor, saw smoke and stopped at the scene. He approached the home and, unable to see inside because of dense smoke, called out to see if anyone was there. McConville answered him. Shelby entered the home but was repulsed by smoke. He entered a second time, crawling, but was again forced out. On a third attempt, he crawled to McConville, whom he found sitting in a chair in the living room, about 10 feet from the door. Shelby grasped McConville, pulled him to the floor, and dragged him to the front door, then from the structure. McConville was hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation.
76338 – 877276338-8772