Jon H. Budd rescued Janice L. Seal from burning, Elsinore, California, March 7, 1965. At night, Mrs. Seal, 39, was asleep in the bedroom of a house trailer when fire broke out in the living room, beneath which were stored cans containing gasoline. Budd, 18, grocery market laborer, and another youth were passing and saw the flames, which quickly spread over the plywood interior. Learning that a woman occupied the burning trailer, Budd and his companion ran to it. The other youth opened a door into a hall connecting the living room and the bedroom. Flames issued through the doorway at the top. Budd dropped to his knees and crawled into the trailer. Through the dense smoke he could see the glow of flames spreading along the hallway and toward him. Heat was intense. Budd crawled eight feet, reached the bed, and located Mrs. Seal. He shook her and told her to get out. She began searching for her purse and then started toward the living room. Budd crawled after her and grasped her by the legs before she reached the burning area. She fell to the floor of the hall with her face and outstretched hands near the flames. Pulling her after him, Budd crawled to the doorway. He drew her outside with the aid of the other youth. She collapsed. As the two youths carried Mrs. Seal away from the trailer, the windows broke, and flames issued through the openings. Firemen arrived and extinguished the flames, but the trailer was a total loss. Mrs. Seal sustained burns, which healed.
48528 – 513848528-5138