John W. Gallie saved Kevin and Sean Murphy and others from burning, Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, May 13, 2014. Brothers Kevin, 43, and Sean, 47, both disabled, were in bedrooms on the first floor of a 1.5-story house after a fire broke out in the kitchen at night. Also in the house were their sister and her boyfriend, who were asleep on the upper floor, and the sister’s son, Gallie, 28, customer service representative, who was sleeping in the living room. Awakened to the fire, Gallie entered Kevin’s bedroom, which was off the living room. He hoisted Kevin over a shoulder and took him out the nearby front door to safety. Gallie then re-entered the house and, crossing the burning kitchen, advanced to Sean’s adjoining bedroom. By then, flames in the kitchen had grown to the ceiling and were spreading along the walls, and smoke extended from the ceiling halfway to the floor. Gallie forced open the bedroom door, advanced to Sean, and guided him to the doorway, where Sean fell. Gallie then dragged Sean outside to safety through the front door. He again re-entered the house and crossed the kitchen, passing within three feet of intense flames, to bang on a ladder extending to the upper floor to alert his mother and her boyfriend. Assured that they were awake, Gallie fled the house, passing through flames to reach the front door. His mother and her boyfriend also fled to safety as flames intensified, destroying the structure. Gallie and Sean needed hospital treatment, Gallie requiring a stay of nine days for treatment of serious smoke inhalation and first-degree burns on about six percent of his body.
86609 – 983386609-9833