John T. Brown, 46, mine foreman, helped to save Joseph Lucas, 33; James E. Dougher, 27, and Anthony Gowrey, 43, miners, and saved Frank Kleisch, 21, laborer, from suffocation, Sebastopol, Pennsylvania, January 10, 1911. Brown led four other men into a heading of a coal mine, one?half mile from the shaft, immediately following an explosion that had deflected the air current and filled that and other headings with after damp. They found Lucas, unconscious, and carried him into fresh air. Returning, Brown and four others found Dougher, whom they also carried out. All had been somewhat affected by the after damp. Brown and three of the men went through another heading into the gangway where the explosion had occurred, where they found Gowrey. A second explosion seemed imminent, but Brown stayed alone with Gowrey until the others brought a stretcher. While the men carried Gowrey out, Brown continued through the gangway until he found Kleisch, delirious, and carried him out. Brown was completely exhausted, but after going to the surface he soon recovered. Lucas and Dougher were revived, Gowrey was badly burned, and Kleisch died from his burns. 6414-524
6414 – 5246414-524
Carnegie Medal Winner Dies
John T. Brown Had Been Pittston Mining Official for Many Years
John T. Borwn, one of the prominent mining men of Wyoming Valley who was identified with that industry for half a century, died suddenly early yesterday morning at his home, 70 River Road, Port Blanchard.
Born in Scotland, Mr. Brown observed his 76th birthday anniversary on March 11. He came to American more than 54 years ago after his marriage in London, England, to Christina Green, on August 10, 1886. On the 50th anniversaary of their wedding they went on a three-month trip to their native land. The Brown family lived at Plainsville, Avoca and Port Blanchard at various times.
For a half century he was employed by Pennsylvania Coal Company in responsible positions and with its successor, the Pittston Company, for many years as mine superintendent. Some 30 years ago while employed by Pennsylvania Coal Company he was awarded a Carnegie medal for rescue work at Hoyt Shaft of Ewen Colliery.
He was superintendent of No. 14 Colliery, one of the largest of Pennsylvania Coal Compnay chain, when work was supended there in 1933 and after the colliery was closed, he was retained by the Pittston Company and had supervision of various small operations leased by the company to individuals. When JermynGreen Coal Company took control of the operation in April, 1937, Mr. Brown became superintendent and served in that capacity until retirement one year ago.
He was popular with his associates in all capacities about the mines. Although the mining inudstry occupied a good portion of his time and attention, he gave valuable service to community enterprises. For many years he was active in Pittston Mining Institute and was always a zealous worker in the mining division of Community Welfare Federation. He was rarely absent from the annual Robert Burns dinners. He was a member of Plains Presbyterian Church, Pittston Lodge of Elks and Caledonian Club of Wilkes-Barre.
He is survived by his widow, two daughters, Mrs. Marian A. Cranston, at home, and Mrs. Harry Carr, Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; one son, Lowther T. Brown, Wyoming. Also these surviving nephews, Edward M. Green, Trucksville; Dougal C. Green, Pittston, and Elvan Green, Port Griffith.
Published 03/30/1940 in The Wilkes-Barre Record