John R. Lee rescued Thelma S. Davis from burning, Frankfort, Illinois, September 26, 1982. Mrs. Davis, 63, lay unconscious in a burning bathroom of her two-story home. A neighbor, Lee, 33, corporate executive, was alerted; he went to the second floor of the Davis house and after obtaining a flashlight, crawled 30 feet in thick smoke and intense heat to the bathroom. He located Mrs. Davis but could not remove her. Worsening fire conditions forced him out of the house. A second time Lee entered the house and crawled to Mrs. Davis. He dragged her out of the bathroom to where others could remove her from the house. Mrs. Davis required extensive hospitalization for her burns, which necessitated the amputation of her left foot and right toes. Lee recovered from smoke inhalation.
59135 – 677459135-6774