John R. Lane saved George E. Rodgers from electrocution, Woodlawn, Virginia, February 15, 2005. Rodgers, 46, was servicing an elevator at the school where Lane, 57, was the head custodian. Rodgers, in the hall at the elevator’s open doors, worked on equipment atop the lowered elevator car while Lane stood nearby to keep students away from the work site. Rodgers accidentally touched an energized component and received an electric shock. Electricity arced to his hands, and he was unable to free himself. Observing the situation, Lane immediately grasped Rodgers by a shoulder and pulled, then pushed, him away, breaking the contact. He too received an electric shock, when he grasped Rodgers. Lane lowered Rodgers to a seated position, then left to summon help. Both men received medical treatment for effects of electrical shock, which, in Rodgers’s case, included burns to both hands and to a leg. Each missed a few days’ work, but they recovered.
78463 – 899678463-8996