John H. Mitchell saved Irene H. Hunnewell and Bernard J. Ashton from burning, Bridgewater, Massachusetts, December 11, 1994. Ms. Hunnewell, 64, and Ashton, 55, were inside their mobile home after fire broke out in the kitchen. A neighbor, Mitchell, 29, environmental scientist, discovered the fire. After calling the fire department, he responded to the scene, where he attempted without success to gain access to the kitchen. Mitchell then forced open the home’s front door and crawled to Ms. Hunnewell, who, unconscious, was nearby on the floor. He carried her outside to safety then re-entered the mobile home through the front door for Ashton. Intense heat forced him back out. Mitchell returned to the kitchen door and broke it down. He entered the kitchen, which was aflame, and crawled to Ashton, who lay on the floor about 12 feet from the door. Mitchell dragged Ashton outside to safety. Ms. Hunnewell and Ashton were treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation. Mitchell was given oxygen at the scene for having inhaled smoke, and he recovered shortly.
69327 – 799569327-7995