John Albert Mahon saved Matthew Lavers from suffocation, Halifax, Nova Scotia, February 4, 1976. When fire broke out in a bedroom adjacent to that in which Matthew, 2, was sleeping, conditions prevented his mother from reaching him; so she ran from the apartment and called for help. Mahon, 38, process operator, climbed a ladder to the window of Matthew’s room, which was filled with dense smoke. Entering the room, Mahon located Matthew, who was unconscious, and handed him through the window to persons outside. Affected by the smoke, Mahon then collapsed to the floor at the window. Firemen arrived and removed Mahon. Both Matthew and Mahon recovered from effects of smoke inhalation.
55321 – 624555321-6245