Joe Silva rescued Sigrid Howe from burning, Garden Grove, California, December 31, 1972. Fire broke out in the living room of a one-story dwelling where Mrs. Howe, 88, had been left alone. Learning of the situation, Silva, 34, silk screener entered the attached garage and opened a door leading into the dining room, to which the fire had spread. Silva crawled 12 feet into the room and, within two feet of the flames, found Mrs. Howe unconscious on the floor beneath the smoke. He dragged her toward the garage door, which then closed. Silva opened it and then pulled Mrs. Howe into the garage, where he was met by firemen. Mrs. Howe later succumbed to burns she had sustained from the intense heat, which had also inflicted minor burns on Silva. He recovered.
53242 – 603153242-6031