Joe S. Walsh rescued Frank F. and Helen L. Crowe from burning, Denver, Colorado, November 22, 1982. Crowe, 77, and his wife, 71, were in their one-story frame house when a gas explosion partially collapsed it and set it aflame. Awakened by the explosion, Walsh, 30, store manager, who lived next door, went to the Crowe house and climbed inside. He pulled Crowe, who was badly burned, from under the ceiling, which lay atop him in the living room. He then found Mrs. Crowe, also badly burned, in the kitchen and moved her away from an unstable wall. On the arrival of firemen, Walsh returned to Crowe and helped to lift him outside the house. He returned for Mrs. Crowe in the kitchen, where flames were spreading rapidly. He carried Mrs. Crowe to where firemen could remove her, then left the burning house himself. The Crowes died later of their burns.
58912 – 672658912-6726