Joe L. Ortiz, 32, assistant manager of a service station, rescued D. Scott Miller, 7, from electric shock, Lawton, Oklahoma, July 2, 1965. When he climbed a pine tree, Scott received a shock from an uninsulated high voltage line and fell unconscious on three secondary lines, which supported him about 22 feet above the ground. The insulation on the secondary lines was worn, and Scott absorbed electricity from the two which were charged, one carrying 120 volts and the other double that amount. Ortiz was attracted and climbed over a fence to reach the tree. He quickly worked his way upward between the dense branches to opposite Scott, noting some sparks and smoke where the boy’s body was in contact with the charged lines. Ortiz wrapped one arm around the tree trunk and extended his other hand to near the line which carried 240 volts. He grasped Scott around the waist and quickly jerked him from the lines, feeling a tingle of electric shock as he did so. Carrying Scott, who was limp, Ortiz began a rapid descent. Once he lost his footing and slipped downward three feet before grasping a limb and arresting his fall. Scott’s father arrived, climbed to meet them and took Scott the rest of the way to the ground. Scott was removed to a hospital, regained consciousness the next day, and was confined three months for extensive burns.
48154 – 529148154-5291