Jimmie Michael Acreman helped to rescue Alex D. McKay from burning, Lake Wales, Florida, November 15, 2002. Badly burned, McKay, 84, was trapped on the side porch of his house after a gas explosion in the house at night that set it fully aflame. The roof was blown off the house, and a section of it lay against the porch, blocking access from the outside. At work nearby, Acreman, 53, mechanic, heard the explosion and, responding to the scene, learned that McKay was trapped in the burning structure. Acreman scaled the roof debris, then jumped through an opening in it to the floor of the porch. With his cap, he extinguished flames on McKay, then stood him up and hoisted him through the debris to the hands of other rescuers, who took him to safety. Acreman then climbed from the porch and through the roof debris and descended to the ground. The house was destroyed in the explosion and fire. McKay was hospitalized for treatment of extensive and severe burns, and he died of them the following day. Acreman sustained minor burns on his hands, from which he recovered.
76560 – 876876560-8768