Jerry L. Morgan rescued Fernandez M. Brown from burning, Lena, Mississippi, February 19, 1993. Fernandez, 3, and his two younger sisters where in a bedroom of their family’s mobile home when fire accidentally broke out in that room and spread. Morgan, 41, construction worker, and another man were driving nearby when they saw the burning mobile home; flames then issued from its roof and windows. Learning from the children’s mother that Fernandez and his sisters were still inside, Morgan and the other man entered the children’s bedroom through a door in its outside wall, but they were driven out by the heat and smoke. Morgan re-entered the room and searched for the children but again was driven out by conditions. He entered a third time and, hearing a sound at one end of the room, moved in that direction. He located Fernandez, who was not breathing, then picked him up and returned to the door, where he handed Fernandez to the other man, who revived him. Morgan penetrated the room again to search for Fernandez’s sisters but was driven out by the smoke and blistering heat. Fernandez was hospitalized three days for treatment of smoke inhalation and burns to his head, and he recovered. Morgan sustained minor smoke inhalation from which he recovered.
67572 – 780267572-7802