Jerome Michael Holland helped to rescue Richard A. Bennett from burning, Halifax, Nova Scotia, December 4, 1997. Bennett, 54, lay unconscious on the floor of the living room in his basement apartment after fire broke out in that room and filled the apartment with dense smoke. Holland, 39, computer technician, who lived on the floors above, responded. He broke into Bennett’s apartment through its door, which opened into the kitchen, then proceeded inside. The smoke forced him back out. Positioning himself on his hands and knees, Holland looked beneath the smoke and saw Bennett. He then entered the apartment again, crawled across the kitchen into the living room, and grasped Bennett by the wrist. Holland stood and moved Bennett toward the door but again had to exit for air. Despite flames spreading overhead into the kitchen and out through the door, Holland re-entered the apartment again. He grasped Bennett and dragged him to the door, where another man assisted in getting Bennett to safety. Bennett sustained smoke inhalation and serious burns and died seven weeks later. Holland recovered from smoke inhalation and lacerations to a foot.
72317 – 823172317-8231