Janice E. Browning rescued Christian Dickey from burning, Belleville, Ontario, November 15, 1991. Mrs. Dickey, 79, was alone in her two-story house when fire broke out in the living room. A neighbor, Mrs. Browning,41, on her way to work as a hospital laundry aide, saw flames through a window of Mrs. Dickey’s house. Using a key to which she had access, Mrs. Browning unlocked the front door of the burning house and entered but was driven out by smoke. She entered again and crawled through the entry hall to the living room, where she saw Mrs. Dickey, who was unconscious and badly burned, seated not far from the flames. Mrs. Browning grasped Mrs. Dickey, freed her from her walker, and carried her from the house. Mrs. Dickey was hospitalized for smoke inhalation and burns; she died four weeks later. Mrs. Browning was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation, and she sustained also a pulled muscle in her back. She recovered.
66368 – 767566368-7675