James M. Stevens rescued Joseph A. Macha from burning, Nashville, Tennessee, March 29, 1995. Macha, 37, mechanic, was underneath a vehicle, working on its fuel tank, in the garage of the automobile dealership where he was employed. Spilled gasoline on Macha caught fire when the utility light he was using fell to the floor and broke, and flames quickly spread to the vehicle. Aflame, Macha moved from underneath the vehicle. A co-worker, Stevens, 34, mechanic, started to flee the garage when the fire broke out, but when he saw Macha aflame, he turned and ran to him. Stevens patted out flames on Macha, then, passing the vehicle as flames engulfed it, led him to safety through the nearest door. Macha required extensive hospitaliza- tion for burns, including third-degree, to much of his body. Stevens was treated at the hospital for first- and second-degree burns to his hands and forearms. He missed a month’s work but fully recovered.
69630 – 800469630-8004