James E. Murray saved Carilynore D. Marshall from burning, Mansfield, Massachusetts, February 1, 1995. At night, Ms. Marshall, 34, lay unconscious in the kitchen of her second-floor apartment after fire broke out in the living room and filled the apartment with dense smoke. A resident of the same building, Murray, 53, real estate broker, awoke to the fire. He went to Ms. Marshall’s unit and kicked in the front door; smoke forced him to the floor. Murray called out to Ms. Marshall, and when flames erupted near her, he could see her on the floor. Murray crawled into the burning apartment, grasped Ms. Marshall, and dragged her out of the unit, then downstairs to safety. Ms. Marshall was hospitalized three days for treatment of smoke inhalation. Murray also sustained smoke inhalation, from which he recovered.
69479 – 796069479-7960