James D. Oliver rescued Joseph V. Willis from burning, Dudley, Missouri, March 24, 1993. Willis, 94, lay unconscious on the kitchen floor of his house after fire erupted in that room. Oliver, 46, social service assistant, was alerted to the fire and went to the scene, where he learned that Willis remained inside. Dense smoke issued from the house, and flames had spread to the outside. Twice Oliver entered the house, but each time he was driven back by the smoke and intense heat. Oliver then climbed through a living room window and, seeing Willis, crossed the room to him. He picked Willis up, carried him to the window, then handed him out to others before exiting the house himself. Although Willis was revived, he died of his injuries two days later. Oliver showed signs of smoke inhalation and had injured his shoulder, but he recovered.
67723 – 781967723-7819