James A. Auble helped to rescue Jacqueline L. Thompson from burning, Rochester, New York, April 27, 1991. Jacqueline, 4, and her younger sister were in their bedroom when, early in the morning, fire erupted in the adjoining living room of their family’s one-story house. Auble, 36, assistant store manager, was in the neighborhood when he was alerted to the fire by the screams of the girls’ mother. After learning that the girls were in the house, Auble entered through the front door and, passing through the burning living room, reached the bedroom. He removed the girls from their beds and began to retrace his steps, using the wall to guide him. Fire conditions were worsening, and in the blistering heat, Auble fell to the floor of the living room, losing his grip on the girls. He fled the house, as did Jacqueline. Jacqueline required hospitalization for treatment of severe burns, and Auble also required hospital treatment, for second-degree burns to his hands and knees. He recovered. Jacqueline’s sister died.
66117 – 763666117-7636