Ivan B. Garrett died as the result of rescuing Louise M. Harper from burning, Columbus, Georgia, October 7, 1959. In the yard of a gasoline storage plant Mrs. Harper, 34, was standing outside her office about 100 feet from where three workmen were attempting to repair a faulty valve on a tank containing 14,000 gallons of aviation gasoline. The leaking fuel, which had spread over the surrounding ground, burst into flames which fatally burned the men and quickly covered an area a 150 feet wide and 70 feet deep, trapping Mrs. Harper. Garrett, 38, truck driver, who was in the yard after parking his truck, started running toward the only gate but stopped when Mrs. Harper screamed for help. He turned and ran toward the flames, which then rose three to fifteen feet above the ground. A short time later Garrett was seen with Mrs. Harper in the yard between the flames and the gate. Mrs. Harper’s clothing was completely afire, and Garrett was attempting to beat out the flames with his hands. The front of Garrett’s attire was smoldering. Mrs. Harper and Garrett were removed to a hospital. Firemen arrived and pumped water onto other fuel tanks to keep them from exploding. Mrs. Harper had suffered burns on nearly all of her body. Garrett had suffered burns to his Iegs, arms, chest, and back, and respiratory damage. Both died more than a week later.
45177 – 439745177-4397