Ian Sean Duffey died after rescuing Marjorie M. Sliwiok from burning, Toronto, Ontario, December 25, 2001. At night, Ms. Sliwiok, 72, was asleep in a bedroom on the third floor of a three-story townhouse after fire broke out on the floor below. In the adjacent bedroom, her grandson, Ian, 17, high school student, awoke to the fire, as did his older sister. Ian aided his sister in escaping through a window, but instead of following her, he responded to Ms. Sliwiok’s room and awakened her. He got Ms. Sliwiok to a window in that room and put her through it. She fell to the ground. Ian was not seen alive again; his body, along with that of a younger sister, was later recovered from the structure. He had died of smoke inhalation. Ms. Sliwiok was hospitalized three months for treatment of minor burns and other injuries.
75801 – 869975801-8699