Hugo Cesar Garcia rescued Mary G. English from burning, San Lorenzo, California, May 17, 1996. Ms. English, 74, was in a bedroom of her house when fire broke out in that room. Working in the neighborhood, Garcia, 23, gutter installer, was alerted to the fire. He responded to the scene and learned that Ms. English was still inside the burning house. After another man had tried to penetrate the smoke in the house to reach her, Garcia entered through the front door and, crossing the living room, called out to her. Dense smoke forced him from the house. He removed his sweater, which the other man sprayed with water from a garden hose, and, holding it to his face, re-entered the house. Garcia found Ms. English at the doorway of the burning bedroom. He picked her up and carried her to the front door, then outside to safety. Ms. English was treated at the hospital for minor ill effects of the fire, and she recovered.
70784 – 808670784-8086