Hipolito Hernandez saved Roberto Juban from burning, Union City, New Jersey, May 5, 2001. Juban, 87, collapsed in the smoke-filled hall outside his apartment, in the basement of a four-story building, after fire erupted in an adjoining unit. He called for help. The building’s superintendent, Hernandez, 51, construction contractor, heard Juban from the first floor. He descended the open stairway, in which smoke rendered visibility nil, and made his way through the basement hall toward the sound of Juban’s cries. He found Juban, picked him up, and dragged him to the stairway, then up the stairs to the first floor. He continued to drag Juban, toward the front door, en route receiving aid from a firefighter in taking Juban outside. Juban required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, and he recovered. The occupant of the burning apartment died in the fire.
75405 – 862275405-8622