Hazel James died attempting to rescue William C. James from burning, Jacksonville, Arkansas, January 26, 1990. At night, Mr. James, 69, who required a wheelchair, and his wife, 66, homemaker, were in their bedroom when fire erupted in another room of their one-story home. Alerted to the fire, Mrs. James exited the house along with other family members, Mr. James getting as far as the living room. As flame conditions worsened, Mrs. James re-entered the house for her husband, despite attempts to restrain her. Arriving firefighters found Mr. James in the living room; he had died of smoke inhalation. Severely burned, Mrs. James was located nearby. She was taken to the hospital but died of her injuries two days later.
64748 – 752564748-7525