Harry A. Green, 31, newspaper reporter, saved Dianne R. Cray, 4 months, from burning, Jacksonville, Florida, January 5, 1969. Fire broke out in the kitchen of a house trailer in which Dianne was asleep in a crib in one of the bedrooms. Green was attracted by the smoke and, learning that Dianne was inside, entered the trailer. He circled the living room, probing in the dense smoke in an effort to locate Dianne. At a hall leading to the other rooms Green dropped to his knees beneath the smoke in order to get his breath. Hearing Dianne cry, he rose to his feet and ran to the bedroom, passing the flames in the kitchen and others that had broken out at a gas heater. In the bedroom flames had burned through the kitchen wall. Green moved to the crib,, which had caught fire, and picked up Dianne. He returned to the hall. Coughing and choking from the smoke, Green again passed the flames, reached the outside door, and emerged from the trailer with Dianne.
50596 – 557550596-5575