Harold H. Chaffee attempted to save four persons from burning, Tippecanoe City, Ohio, January 5, 1935. A woman discovered the kitchen of her home in flames and called to arouse her son and four grandchildren who were asleep in the house. The woman and her granddaughter went outside, having sustained second-degree burns on face and hands. Chaffee, 41, automobile mechanic, reached the door as the two emerged and was told that four persons were in the front part of the house. Chaffee, who was not familiar with the interior of the house, entered through a door that opened into the dining room. He noted an odor of kerosene and feared an explosion. Stooping to avoid flames that extended from the kitchen almost to the door, he walked across the dining room and into the living room. His eyes and breathing were affected by the smoke, and he walked with difficulty. He then heard the sound of breaking glass and saw a flame dart into the living room from the dining room and then recede. He saw no one and received no response to repeated calls. By groping along a wall and desk against the wall, Chaffee returned to the dining room, where flames dropped down to within four feet of the floor. He got to his hands and knees, and, by brushing his hand against the wall, he crawled with eyes closed until he reached the dining room door and went outside. He then was gasping. The others fled through bedroom windows. Chaffee sustained second-degree burns on his face, hands, and wrists and was disabled for almost a month.
34450 – 285734450-2857