Gerald T. Doherty saved Michel Lachapelle from suffocation, Montreal, Quebec, December 7, 1974. In a brick dwelling, fire broke out in the finished basement, where Michel, 1, was asleep in a rear bedroom and his brother and sister were in the front bedroom. Among those attracted was Gerald, 16, high school student. After a window had been broken in the front bedroom, Gerald entered and handed the brother and sister to those outside. In increasing smoke he then went to the hall and made his way past the flames. He found Michel and carried him into the hall, where conditions had worsened. By then Gerald was coughing from the smoke; and he sustained some burns as he carried Michel through the hall to the open window, through which both were removed from the basement.
54741 – 622054741-6220