Gary J. Wislie rescued William L. Jackson, Jr., from burning, Arnold, Pennsylvania, March 21, 1985. William, 5, lay unconscious in the kitchen of his family’s second-floor apartment, which was on fire. On his way to work, Wislie, 32, home remodeler, saw the flames and learned that William was still inside. Wislie entered the building and located the apartment, but he was driven back by heavy smoke when he pushed open the door. After taking a breath of air from a stairway window, Wislie crawled into the apartment’s kitchen, which was aflame, and found William. He dragged William back to the door and began to carry him down the stairs, where he was assisted by another man. William was hospitalized three weeks for second-degree burns to his face and arms.
60296 – 695560296-6955