Furman E. Brown rescued Herberta M. Abercrombie from burning, Clinton, South Carolina, September 12, 1971. When fire broke out and spread through the front rooms of her one-story dwelling, Mrs. Abercrombie, 71, went to the kitchen, the door of which was locked. Noticing the smoke, Brown 61, mill watchman, forced open the kitchen door. By then flames filled the front rooms and were issuing through windows broken by the heat. Brown crawled into the kitchen in dense smoke and found Mrs. Abercrombie on the floor. Gasping for breath, he dragged her from the dwelling. Others arrived and aided Brown in moving Mrs. Abercrombie away from the house, the front section of which had collapsed. Mrs. Abercrombie, who had sustained extensive burns from the intense heat, died soon after being hospitalized.
52210 – 586252210-5862