Frederick L. Visconti rescued Robert J. Mitchell from burning, Danbury, Connecticut, May 24, 2008. Mitchell, 18, was in his bedroom on the second floor of his family’s two-story house after an accidental fire broke out in that room. A neighbor, Visconti, 65, retired firefighter, smelled smoke and responded to the scene. He entered the house through its front door and learned that Mitchell was on the second floor. Visconti went up the stairs and, in dense smoke that severely limited visibility, crawled into Mitchell’s bedroom, in which flames were growing. Finding Mitchell in his bed, he pulled him to the floor and into the hall. Visconti then aided Mitchell downstairs and outside to safety. Mitchell required hospital treatment for minor burns and smoke inhalation, and he recovered.
81278 – 926681278-9266