Fallon Richards saved James J. Glass, Sr., from burning, Locust Fork, Alabama, July 6, 1999. Glass, 51, was confined to a hospital bed in the bedroom of one end of his mobile home. Fire broke out in the kitchen, which adjoined that bedroom, and quickly filled the two rooms with dense smoke. Fallon, 12, student, was visiting Glass, who was her grandfather. In the other end of the mobile home when she smelled smoke, Fallon ran to the burning kitchen, then through it to get to Glass’s bedroom. She shouted that the mobile home was on fire then went outside to the back porch and shouted for help. Fallon re-entered the mobile home and returned to Glass’s bedroom. She grasped Glass by the legs, pulled him from the bed to the floor, then dragged him from the bedroom to the back door and outside to the porch. Others who were arriving took Glass to safety. Glass inhaled some smoke; he recovered. Fallon, who was asthmatic, was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and a second-degree burn to her right forearm. She was detained overnight for observation, and she recovered.
74331 – 844774331-8447