Eugene Barrett, Jr., rescued Amber A. and helped to rescue Mark E. Moose from burning, Charlotte, North Carolina, June 18, 2004. Amber, 3, and her father, Moose, 38, were inside their family’s one-story house after fire broke out in a room at one end of the structure before dawn. Barrett, 47, carpenter, who lived nearby, discovered the fire. After reporting it, he ran to the scene, where he kicked in the house’s front door, which was near the opposite end of the structure. Dense smoke issued through the doorway, forcing Barrett to his hands and knees. Taking his flashlight, Barrett crawled into the house, finding there to be no visibility in the smoke, which extended almost to the floor. He found Amber, unconscious and not breathing, on the living room floor about six feet from the door. Barrett pulled Amber to himself and backed out of the house with her, then handed her over to another. Barrett re-entered the house and crawled through the living room into an adjoining room. He found Moose there, also unconscious. Barrett grasped Moose and was able to pull him a few feet before he had to leave the house for air. Barrett entered the house a third time and crawled to Moose. An arriving firefighter also entered the house, and Barrett and he removed Moose through the front door to safety. Moose and Amber were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns; they recovered. Amber’s younger sister was recovered from the house by firefighters, but she could not be revived.
77748 – 894477748-8944