Eric R. Messenger saved Celia A. Miluszewski from burning, Erie, Pennsylvania, April 28, 1993. Before dawn, Ms. Miluszewski, 97, was asleep in a first-floor bedroom of her house when fire broke out in a small room off the kitchen. Working in the neighborhood, Messenger, 26, refuse driver, and his co-workers discovered the fire. They responded to the scene and awakened Ms. Miluszewski’s grandson by pounding on a side door. Learning that Ms. Miluszewski was in her bedroom, Messenger went to that room and picked her up. He attempted to retrace his steps to the side door, but worsening smoke and flames blocked his course. After returning to the bedroom for less-smoky air, Messenger made repeated attempts through the smoke-filled living room to locate the front door. Guided by his co-workers, he carried Ms. Miluszewski toward the door. His co-workers took her to safety. Ms. Miluszewski was hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation. Messenger was hospitalized a day for treatment of smoke inhalation, and he received minor burns to his face. He recovered.
67772 – 781567772-7815