Eric C. Bonnell saved Marguerite Naugler from burning, Italy Cross, Nova Scotia, May 6, 2003. Ms. Naugler, 83, was in the first-floor bedroom of her two-story, wood-frame house after fire broke out in the chimney and spread to the kitchen, living room, and second floor. Her neighbor, Bonnell, 58, retired quality specialist, saw smoke issuing from the house and immediately responded. He entered the enclosed back porch, calling Ms. Naugler by name, then opened the door to the kitchen. Despite flames in that room and the adjoining living room, and hearing their roar in the second story, Bonnell crouched beneath the dense smoke and made his way through the kitchen to the bedroom, which opened off the kitchen. Finding Ms. Naugler standing in the bedroom doorway, Bonnell put his arms around her and took her to the kitchen door. As they exited the house, part of the kitchen ceiling collapsed. Flames destroyed the structure. Ms. Naugler suffered minor smoke inhalation from which she recovered. Bonnell sustained minor burns to his hands, and he too recovered.
76906 – 882676906-8826