Elvira Jacquette died after attempting to rescue Byron D. Jacquette and Sean J. McCune from burning, Beaumont, Texas, January 22, 1993. Byron, 3, and his cousin, Sean, 4, were on the second floor of their grandparents’ two-story house when fire erupted at the top of the stairway. From the kitchen on the first floor, their grandmother, Ms. Jacquette, 69, retired cook, went upstairs immediately on learning of the fire. As spreading flames blocked her and the boys’ return to the first floor, they sought refuge in one of the second-floor bedrooms. Firefighters arrived and removed them from the house, and they were hospitalized. Byron and Sean died shortly of effects of the fire, and Ms. Jacquette died early the next morning of smoke inhalation.
67518 – 779267518-7792